Park Orchards Primary School is committed to providing a safe, secure and stimulating learning environment, where risk of harm is minimised and students feel physically and emotionally secure to reach their full potential. Our school acknowledges that student welfare and student learning outcomes are inextricably linked and that, within our school community, students have a wide range of needs that require additional support.
PREVENTION AND EARLY INTERVENTION STRATEGIES THE SCHOOL WILL DEPLOY INCLUDE:
- Defining and teaching school-wide classroom expectations
- Establishing consistent school-wide and classroom expectations
- Establishing school-wide and classroom processes for early identification of students experiencing academic and/or behaviour difficulty
- Providing school-wide and classroom processes for the ongoing collection and use of data for decision-making
- Empowering students by creating multiple opportunities for them to take responsibility and be involved in decision-making
- Providing a physical environment conducive to positive behaviours and effective engagement in learning
- Utilising evidence-based interventions, monitored regularly for those students who face difficulty with learning and/or behavior
Child Safety Statement Commitment
Park Orchards Primary School (POPS) is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people. This will be the primary focus of our care and decision-making.
- POPS has zero tolerance for child abuse.
- POPS is committed to providing a child safe environment where children are safe and feel safe, and their voices are heard about decisions that affect their lives. Particular attention will be paid to the cultural safety of Aboriginal children and children from culturally and/or linguistically diverse backgrounds, as well as the safety of children with a disability.
- Every person involved in the POPS community has a responsibility to understand the important and specific role he/she plays individually and collectively to ensure that the wellbeing and safety of all children is at the forefront of all they do and every decision they make.
In its planning, decision-making and operations POPS will:
Take a preventative, proactive and participatory approach to child safety;
- Value and empower children to participate in decisions which affect their lives;
- Foster a culture of openness that supports all people to safely disclose risks of harm to children;
- Respect diversity in cultures and child rearing practices while keeping child safety paramount;
- Provide written guidance on appropriate conduct and behaviour towards children;
- Engage only suitable people to work with children and have high quality staff and volunteer supervision and professional development;
- Ensure all children know who to talk with if they are worried or are feeling unsafe, and that they are comfortable and encouraged to raise such issues;
- Report suspected abuse, neglect or mistreatment promptly to the appropriate authorities;
- Share information appropriately and lawfully with other organisations where the safety and wellbeing of children is at risk; and
- Value the input of and communicate regularly with families and carers.